Child Support Services

Services Available
  • Locating parents
  • Establishing parentage
  • Establishing and enforcing court orders for child support, medical support, and child care
  • Adjusting court orders based on the cost-of-living index
  • Working with other states to enforce support when one parent does not live in Minnesota
  • Collection and processing payments
Either parent of a child may get certain support services.

Fee Information
Parents who do not receive public assistance can apply for services at their county child support office. They are charged a one-time $25 fee.

Parents who receive public assistance for a child whose other parent does not live with them are automatically referred for services. They do not pay any fee.

Services Not Available
We cannot help with:
  • Legal separation and divorce
  • Visitation and custody
  • We cannot answer legal questions about custody and visitation
  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) establishment or enforcement
  • Collection of unpaid bills, property settlements, or other debts not related to support obligations
  • Legal advice or counsel
You may wish to consult an attorney for assistance with the above issues or Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota at 800-450-8585.

For more detail information, call the Minnesota Department of Human Services Interactive Voice Response case and payment information line at 651-215-5630 in the Twin Cities area or 800-657-3512 outside the Twin Cities calling area.